Oxford University Press are delighted to announce the launch of Oxford Scholarly Editions Online (OSEO). A major new publishing initiative from Oxford University Press, OSEO provides an interlinked collection of authoritative Oxford editions of major works from the humanities.
Launching with more than 170 scholarly editions of material written between 1485 and 1660, and containing nearly 12,000 different works from plays to poetry to letters, the equivalent of 82,000 print pages, OSEO makes highly sought after editions more accessible, searchable, and interconnected than ever before.
With OSEO, users can
- View notes for lines or phrases directly alongside the text, highlighted at the click of a button
- Use intelligent copy and paste, automatically grabbing the URL and citation to return to the content again and again
- Hover over abbreviations to quickly understand where a note has come from, or what it means
- Download a PDF of the original print page, or choose to download a PDF of the online page with associated notes
- Jump straight to a specific location within a work, and then moving quickly and easily within and between editions
- Explore old texts in new ways by browsing Works, Editions, or Authors, exploring and unlocking content in a way never made possible before
In future updates OSEO will grow into a massive virtual library, with new content added in chronological steps until ultimately it will include all of Oxford’s distinguished list of authoritative scholarly editions, from the Oxford Classical Texts to the Romantic poets, and from medieval Latin chronicles to the twentieth century.