Oxford Scholarly Editions Online (OSEO) is a major new publishing initiative from Oxford University Press, providing an interlinked collection of authoritative Oxford editions of major works from the humanities. Scholarly editions are the cornerstone of humanities scholarship, and Oxford University Press’s list is unparalleled in breadth and quality. By publishing these texts online OSEO transforms humanities scholarship, making texts more accessible, searchable, and interconnected than ever before.
Find out more about:
- The current content,
- How OSEO can benefit users and librarians,
- The editorial board,
- How to obtain access to OSEO, or
- How to keep up to date with the latest news.
To discover more about OSEO watch the full story below, or take a sneak peek.
OSEO provides access to more than 380 scholarly editions of material written between 1485 and 1788, including all of Shakespeare’s plays, the poetry of John Donne, and works by John Milton and John Locke. These editions contain over 36,000 different works including more than 300 plays, over 16,000 poems, and more than 20,000 other works — the equivalent of over 193,000 print pages!
View a complete list of titles currently in OSEO.
The collection is set to grow into a massive virtual library, ultimately including the entirety of Oxford’s distinguished list of authoritative scholarly editions, from the Oxford Classical Texts to the Romantic poets, and from medieval Latin chronicles to the twentieth century. OSEO will include editions published from as early as 1888 right up to the present day. To find out more visit our Future Updates page.
Building on the cornerstones of humanities scholarship…
Scholarly editions are the enduring focus of humanities research, providing a reliable and trusted source through which scholars interpret the core texts of their disciplines. In placing these online, OSEO complements the traditional elements familiar from these printed editions with the advantages of online availability. OSEO’s content constitutes the cornerstone of research in the fields of English Literature, as well as Philosophy, History, and Religion.
Each title within the collection presents the full text of the work, as established by an authoritative editor, accompanied by the editor’s record of important variations, and interpretative and explanatory notes placed directly alongside the text. Most also have introductions placing the work and the author in a historical context, and explaining the editorial principles and the history of the text.
OSEO allows users to:
- Search the complete text of over 380 scholarly editions — browse each text’s editor’s record of important variations, and interpretative and explanatory notes
- Be assured of authoritative and reliable content with scholarly apparatus — ensuring your interpretations and ideas are based on accurately edited texts
- Utilise excellent searching and linking facilities — to find that obscure quote or a specific poem, scene or line quickly and easily
- Invest their time and research in a growing research library, with future updates bringing to life hundreds of scholarly editions of works from all periods up to the 20th century
- Access the editions anywhere, anytime — have a consistent research discussion or teach a class across the world because everyone is using the same, trusted edition
Our prestigious academic editorial board oversees the project to ensure that it upholds the high standards of scholarship embodied in the original print editions. Michael F. Suarez, S.J., University Professor and Director of Rare Book School at the University of Virginia, is its editor in chief.
OSEO's editorial board have written blog posts which unpack different issues that surround the project, from how it can be incorporated into undergraduate teaching to the importance of citing a reliable source. To read all of the available posts visit our blog post archive.
Getting started with OSEO...
Print scholarly editions are necessarily a scarce resource in the university and research library. The publication of these scholarly editions online offers access to multiple users simultaneously, both on campus and remotely—providing a critical tool for research for any library.
OSEO also provides excellent service and support with:
- Flexible purchase models, making collections available on annual subscription, or for a one-time purchase fee
- COUNTER-compliant statistics for reporting down to book level
- MARC21 records available free of charge
- OpenURL compliance, connecting citations straight into your library catalogue
- Conformance with WCAG accessibility guidelines and ‘AA’ compliant
- Support for all standard remote access methods
- Sign up to the OSEO RSS feed—delivering the latest news and blog posts straight to your desktop
- DOIs for all included editions and works
- Superior customer support providing subscribers and users with timely responses and assistance
- Freely available library training and promotional materials at www.oup.com/online/librarians
Click here for a complete list of titles/authors/ISBNs/URLs in OSEO (Microsoft® Excel format).
If you are an academic or a student, please recommend OSEO to your librarian. Alternatively, if you live outside North and South America you can take out a personal subscription. For more information please browse to the relevant Module from our catalogue page.
Free trials are unavailable to private individuals.
Keep up-to-date with the latest news from Oxford University Press and Oxford Scholarly Editions Online
You can opt in to receive information from OUP in several different ways:
- For the latest news related specifically to Oxford Scholarly Editions Online subscribe to the RSS feed from our homepage.
- To receive information about our latest publishing, including subject news and special offers join our mailing list for North & South America or the UK, Europe & Rest of World.
- Connect via our Social Media channels, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and via the OUP Blog.
Other useful links
Have a question? See if someone else has already asked it in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Discover the latest reviews and awards for OSEO
View the site credits