R. W. Chapman (ed.), The Works of Jane Austen, Vol. 6: Minor Works (Revised Edition)
A Middle-aged Flirt
Memoir ch. 5. Maria was substituted for Camilla, sc. Wallop (q.v. in Index to Letters. See my note on Letter 74. 1).
- On the marriage of a middle-aged Flirt with a Mr. Wake, whom, it was supposed, she would scarcely have accepted in her youth.
- Maria, good-humoured, and handsome, and tall,
- For a husband was at her last stake;
- And having in vain danced at many a ball,
- Is now happy to jump at a Wake.