Herbert J. C. Grierson (ed.), The Poems of John Donne, Vol. 1: The Text of the Poems with Appendixes
- 1LOve, any devill elſe but you,
- 2 Would for a given Soule give ſomething too.
- 3At Court your fellowes every day,
- Critical Apparatus4Give th'art of Riming, Huntſmanſhip, or Play,
- 5For them which were their owne before;
- 6Onely I have nothing which gave more,
- 7But am, alas, by being lowly, lower.
- 8I aske no diſpenſation now
- Critical Apparatus9To falſifie a teare, or ſigh, or vow,
- 10I do not ſue from thee to draw
- 11A non obstante on natures law,
- 12Theſe are prerogatives, they inhere
- 13In thee and thine; none ſhould forſweare
- 14Except that hee Loves minion were.
- pg 3515Give mee thy weakneſſe, make mee blinde,
- 16Both wayes, as thou and thine, in eies and minde;
- 17Love, let me never know that this
- Critical Apparatus18Is love, or, that love childiſh is;
- 19Let me not know that others know
- Critical Apparatus20That ſhe knowes my paines, leaſt that ſo
- Critical Apparatus21A tender ſhame make me mine owne new woe.
- 22If thou give nothing, yet thou'art juſt,
- 23Becauſe I would not thy firſt motions truſt;
- 24Small townes which ſtand ſtiffe, till great ſhot
- 25Enforce them, by warres law condition not.
- 26Such in loves warfare is my caſe,
- 27I may not article for grace,
- Critical Apparatus28Having put Love at laſt to ſhew this face.
- 29This face, by which he could command
- 30And change the Idolatrie of any land,
- 31This face, which whereſoe'r it comes,
- 32Can call vow'd men from cloiſters, dead from tombes,
- 33And melt both Poles at once, and ſtore
- 34Deſerts with cities, and make more
- 35Mynes in the earth, then Quarries were before.
- Critical Apparatus36For this, Love is enrag'd with mee,
- Critical Apparatus37Yet kills not. If I muſt example bee
- 38To future Rebells; If th'unborne
- 39Muſt learne, by my being cut up, and torne:
- 40Kill, and diſſect me, Love; for this
- 41Torture againſt thine owne end is,
- 42Rack't carcaſſes make ill Anatomies.
Loves exchange. 1633–69, A18, N, TCC, TCD: no title, B, D, H40, H49, JC, Lec, O'F, P
4 or] and most MSS. Play D: play 1633–69
9 or ſigh, or vow, 1633–54 : a ſigh, a vow, 1669
18 is; Ed: is. 1633–69
20 paines] paine A18, B, D, H40, H49, JC, Lec, O'F, P, TC
21 1669 omits new
28 Love D: love 1633–69 this] his 1669
36 For this, Ed: For, this 1633–69 Love D : love 1633–69