Herbert J. C. Grierson (ed.), The Poems of John Donne, Vol. 1: The Text of the Poems with Appendixes
- 1HE is ſtarke mad, who ever ſayes,
- 2 That he hath beene in love an houre,
- 3Yet not that love ſo ſoone decayes,
- 4 But that it can tenne in leſſe ſpace devour;
- 5Who will beleeve mee, if I ſweare
- 6That I have had the plague a yeare?
- 7 Who would not laugh at mee, if I ſhould ſay,
- Critical Apparatus8 I ſaw a flaske of powder burne a day?
- 9Ah, what a triſle is a heart,
- Critical Apparatus10 If once into loves hands it come!
- 11All other griefes allow a part
- Critical Apparatus12 To other griefes, and aske themſelves but ſome;
- pg 4913They come to us, but us Love draws,
- 14Hee ſwallows us, and never chawes:
- Critical Apparatus15 By him, as by chain'd ſhot, whole rankes doe dye,
- Critical Apparatus16 He is the tyran Pike, our hearts the Frye.
- Critical Apparatus17If 'twere not ſo, what did become
- 18 Of my heart, when I firſt ſaw thee?
- 19I brought a heart into the roome,
- Critical Apparatus20 But from the roome, I carried none with mee:
- 21If it had gone to thee, I know
- 22Mine would have taught thine heart to ſhow
- Critical Apparatus23 More pitty unto mee: but Love, alas,
- Critical Apparatus24 At one firſt blow did ſhiver it as glaſſe.
- 25Yet nothing can to nothing fall,
- 26 Nor any place be empty quite,
- 27Therefore I thinke my breast hath all
- 28 Thoſe peeces ſtill, though they be not unite;
- 29And now as broken glaſſes ſhow
- Critical Apparatus30A hundred lesser faces, ſo
- 31 My ragges of heart can like, wiſh, and adore,
- 32 But after one ſuch love, can love no more.
The broken heart. 1633–69: Broken Heart. L74: Song, or no title, A18, A25, B, Cy, D, H49, JC, Lec, N, O'F, S, TCC, TCD: Elegie. P, S96
8 flaske 1633, A25, B, C, Cy, D, H40, Lec, O'F (corrected from flaſh), P, S: flaſh 1635–69, A18, H49, N, TC
10 come! Ed: come? 1633–69
12 ſome; Ed: ſome, 1633–69
15 chain'd ſhot] chain-ſhott A18, A25, N, TC
16 tyran] Tyrant 1669
our hearts] and we 1669
17 did]could A18, A25, B, C, L74, O'F, N, TC: would B, Cy, M, S
20 mee: 1650–69 : mee; 1633–39
23 alas,] alas 1633
24 firſt] fierce A18, B, N, TC
30 hundred] thouſand A18, A25, B, Cy, L74, M, N, P, S, TC