Graham Midgeley (ed.), The Miscellaneous Works of John Bunyan, Vol. 6: The Poems
XLIXUpon a Lanthorn
- 1428 The Lanthorn is to keep the Candle Light,
- 1429When it is windy, and a darksome Night.
- 1430Ordain'd it also was, that men might see
- 1431By Night their Day, and so in safety be.
- 1433 Compare we now our Lanthorn to the man,
- 1434That has within his heart a Work of Grace.
- 1435As for another let him, if he can,
- 1436Do as this Lanthorn, in its time and place:
- 1437 Profess the Faith, and thou a Lanthorn art:
- Critical Apparatus1438But yet if Grace has not possessed thee,
- 1439Thou want'st this Candle Light within thy heart,
- 1440And art none other, than dark Lanthorns be.