Jump to chapter
Critical Apparatuspg 17Critical ApparatusTHE LATER AUTUMN
- Critical Apparatus1Gone are the lovers, under the bush
- 2 Stretched at their ease;
- Critical Apparatus3 Gone the bees,
- 4Tangling themselves in your hair as they rush
- 5 On the line of your track,
- 6 Leg-laden, back
- 7 With a dip to their hive
- 8 In a prepossessed dive.
- 9Toadsmeat is mangy, frosted, and sere;
- 10 Apples in grass
- 11 Crunch as we pass,
- Critical Apparatus12And rot ere the men who make cyder appear.
- 13 Couch-fires abound
- 14 On fallows around,
- Critical Apparatus15 And shades far extend
- 16 Like lives soon to end.
- 17Spinning leaves join the remains shrunk and brown
- 18 Of last year's display
- 19 That lie wasting away,
- 20On whose corpses they earlier as scorners gazed down
- 21 From their aery green height:
- 22 Now in the same plight
- 23 They huddle; while yon
- 24 A robin looks on.
Saturday Review, 28 Oct. 1922
1 Gone are the lovers,] No more lovers SR; 〈No more lovers,〉 Hol.
3 No more bees SR; 〈No more bees〉 Hol.
12 men who make cyder] 〈ciderman's grinders〉 Hol.
15 shades far] shadows SR; 〈shadows〉 shades Hol.; 〈shades〉 HS-P
Date 1921 Hol.