pg 32Editor’s NoteTo Elizabeth S.K. Poole
- One bright May-day we've spent together,
- One happy day of genial weather,
- Ourselves in Life's delightful Spring! –
- To celebrate with honour due
- Our meeting blithe, our warm adieu,
- I'd fain a vernal garland bring.
- But Fancy's favours are not mine,
- And all unused to deck her shrine
- To call upon her name I fear! –
- Her wreaths of more resplendent hue
- The partial Nymph reserves for you,
- For you, sweet Maid, her bright compeer!
- Oh! would she aid one ardent prayer
- Poured forth for you her favourite fair,
- Content I'd end this farewell lay –
- That still howe'er the seasons roll,
- Her airy dreams may glad your soul,
- There keeping up perpetual May!