Jump to chapter
Helen Gardner (ed.), John Donne: The Elegies and The Songs and Sonnets
Breake of Day
- 1'Tis true, 'tis day, what though it be?
- Critical Apparatus2O wilt thou therefore rise from me?
- 3Why should we rise, because 'tis light?
- Critical Apparatus4Did we lie downe, because 'twas night?
- Critical Apparatus5Love which in spight of darknesse brought us hether,
- Critical Apparatus6Should in despight of light keepe us together.
- 7Light hath no tongue, but is all eye;
- 8If it could speake as well as spie,
- Editor’s NoteCritical Apparatus9This were the worst, that it could say,
- 10That being well, I faine would stay,
- Critical Apparatus11And that I lov'd my heart and honor so,
- Critical Apparatus12That I would not from him, that had them, goe.
- Editor’s Note13Must businesse thee from hence remove?
- 14Oh, that's the worst disease of love,
- pg 3615The poore, the foule, the false, love can
- 16Admit, but not the busied man.
- Critical Apparatus17He which hath businesse, and makes love, doth doe
- Critical Apparatus18Such wrong, as when a maryed man doth wooe.
2 O wilt thou] Wilt thou L 74, TC, S 96, HK 2: And will you O'F, B: Will you JC
therefore] Omit H 40, C 57, H 49, S
4. 'twas] t'was 1633 uncorrected
5 spight] despight H 40, C 57, H 49, L 74, TC, S
6 keepe] hould L 74, TC, S 96, HK 2
9 were] is L 74, TC, Dob, O'F, S 96, HK 2, P,S
ll. 9–12. were … lov'd … had. It seems more probable that the subjunctive after a conditional clause and the past tenses of indirect speech preserving sequence would be changed in transmission to the present 'is…love… hath' (L 74, II, HK 2, &c.) than that the reverse change should take place.
11 lov'd] love L 74, TC, O'F, B, JC
11 so,] so 1633 uncorrected
12 had] hath L 74, TC, Dob, O'F, S 96, HK 2, P, A 25, B, JC
ll. 13–18. Must businesse thee from hence remove, &c. Grierson quotes:
It is a good definition of ill love, that St. Chrysostom gives, that it is Animae vacantis pernio, a passion of an empty soul, of an idle mind. For fill a man with business, and he hath no room for such love (Sermons, iv. 121).
17 which] that L 74, TC, O'F, HK 2, P, A 25, B, JC
18 when … doth] if … should L 74, TC, O'F, HK 2, B, JC